Monday, August 19, 2013

joyful noise



Expressing worship to God with like-hearted people is an experience matched by nothing else.  Regardless of what it looks like, it's the honest desire for humility, a posture of reverence, and a want to draw closer to God that makes it so beautiful to me.

I grew up in a traditional Presbyterian church where worship music was what we sang from hymnals.  I didn't understand then how it could be anything but boring (sorry, mom and dad), but now I have a love for hymns.  Once I started paying attention to the words, I understood the heart behind them, and God changed my heart. Whenever they come up in rotation at our charismatic church here in Ohio (not often, but every now and then Chris sneaks them in), or when I visit my parents' church, I sing them with sincerity.

I've learned that style of music doesn't make worship, it's the way we commune with God that makes worship.

At our church in California, we had worship stations (creative movement, confession, prayer, communion elements, writing, visual art) that were open during the music time.  Everyone participated by singing and/or moving about the room.  The children even stayed in the service, which always encouraged playfulness and freedom from our grown-up inhibitions.

They were such spirited little dancers.

As an adult, I am now a stand up, clap, and raise my hands kind of worshipper.  Some times I kneel, some times I shout out, "Hallelujah!"  We have many others like me at Cornerstone Chapel, as well as flag wavers, dancers, those who shout words of prophecy, those who weep and pray, and others who sit quietly.

It is as intimate as it is corporate.

(Amanda is a flag waver and dancer.)

"Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth.
Worship the Lord with gladness;
come into his presence with singing.
Know that the Lord is God.
It is he that made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him, bless his name.
For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
and his faithfulness to all generations."
- Psalm 100:1-5 (NRSV)

No comments:

Post a Comment