Saturday, June 8, 2013

holy pierogi


Perogi, perogy, pirogi, pyrogie, pierogy, pierozki, pyrogy, pyrohy, pierogi, pierogie.  There are many ways to spell it, but really the eating part is the only thing you need to focus on.

Pierogis have major popularity in our state.  You can't go anywhere in Ohio without mention of these doughy dumplings.  They show up at dinner parties and potlucks, on restaurant menus and yard signs advertising "homemade."  It's no surprise given that half of Ohio's Polish population resides in the Greater Cleveland area.

My familiarity with these began with my husband's family, who is Argentine by way of Ukraine.  His mom often makes a Ukrainian dish called vareniki.  Similar to pierogi and always served with a generous helping of grilled onions, sour cream and strawberry jam, it is a meal to write home about.  Honestly, I thought it was a strange combination when I first married in, but now I could easily go for a third helping.  Flora makes her vareniki by hand and I'm sure would cringe at the thought of buying them in a mass produced box at the grocery store.  I'll agree, from scratch is best.  I've never tried making them, but hear that much patience is required.  

I'd rather pay someone to make them for me.

Enter Geri Kilkenny.  Geri is a dear friend of ours from church who lives only a mile away.  She makes pierogi that is out of this world! She fills hers with cheese and potato or sauerkraut and onion, and is currently selling them as a fundraiser for our West Virginia outreach next month.  I just picked up three dozen.

Slavic connections have their perks.  

Polka music optional.

Angelic Pierogie (homemade pieorgis, cookies and more!) by Geri Kilkenny.  216-225-2833.  $8 per dozen or $0.75 each.  If you live in the area, give her a call.   

No comments:

Post a Comment