Tuesday, May 14, 2013

reflection

This is the kind of day you start with chocolate cake and end with someone holding you.  That's my plan anyway.

My hubby's plane arrives this afternoon and I can't wait to see him! We've touched base here and there, sending quick pics and exchanging "I love you's."  And while I like having time to myself every now and then, today is a "then" situation.  I'm ready for my man to come home.

Did you have a nice Mother's Day, moms?  

I hope someone bought you flowers.

I thought a lot about my own mom on Sunday and how much I love her and am thankful God gave her to me.  She and I shared words of endearment, and I laughed at the thought of my husband seeing her on that day without me.  I know there was hugging and that makes me happy.  This is actually the second year I've received Mother's Day notes and gifts from loved ones.

2012.  Organic dark chocolate bars, peanut butter M&Ms and a Starbucks
gift card included (they know me well!).


2013.  My phone blew up with notifications.


That's not true, it's the third.  

My college boyfriend gave me a Mother's Day card once, in anticipation of us having children someday.  It was sweet, and strange.  I didn't earn that one, but these ones fill my heart right up to the brim knowing I've loved my youth kids well.

Sure, they keep me up at night with their questions, text messages, heartaches and risky behavior.  They challenge me with their "Does God really..?"  "Would God approve of..?" "What does God think about..?" "Is there anything in the Bible that says..?" kind of queries, pleas for relationship advice, prayer requests, and venting.  And then, there's keeping up with them online.  It's not always pretty.  I get on them about their language and bikini profile pics, and ask them in private about aggressive things they say, to which they often do nothing or block me from their profile.  They eventually take me back, but I know pouting.  That's mom stuff, right?

Their moments of gratitude, requests for dates with me, thoughtful notes, handmade presents, and squeals of delight when they see me, make all of that hard stuff melt away.  They have me by the heart, and I am honored to be part of the "village" that it takes to raise a child.  I may not have given birth to them, but I feel similar heart pangs for each young person who reaches out to me and allows me to reach back.  I'm protective and passionate for these kids, even if I don't always get it right.  Thank you girls for trusting me with you. Thank you parents for trusting me with your girls.  

I'm just grateful today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment