Tuesday, May 7, 2013

good things

In the midst of things that make me anxious, there are things that are good.  Very good.

I had a conversation with a friend this morning about gratitude in the midst of desperation.  Let's face it, my needy self will always be needy (impatience, selfishness, injustice, insecurity, pride), I just pray my gratitude comes first and my needy self is quieted by my compassionate and grateful self.  I want my eyes and heart to be wide open to God's mercy and blessings that are new each day.  

Here are some of those good things:

Sunlight sparkling on a backyard pond.


Three girls rescued in Cleveland after missing for ten years!!

Food that turns out exactly how I saw it in my head.

Albacore tuna tossed with lemon and pickled jalapeno juice, a touch of mayo, sliced cherry tomatoes and lemon pepper on a bed of alfalfa sprouts and mixed greens.

GF toast topped with mango-peach salsa and avocado.  Fried egg sunny-side up. 

A robin's nest with four eggs and one protective mama (who has given me the stare-down more than once) in our gazebo.


Chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven.


Our favorite whole beans.  "Just because."


Windows open letting fresh air in.

Feasting with friends and a showing of the new Iron Man movie. Robert Downey Jr. is definitely a good thing.

Ladies, are you with me? 

Lamb curry, chicken tikka, and savory goat stew.

Michael Symon's B Spot.

Daily fruit/veggie juice made for me by my darling husband.

Being a bridesmaid in the wedding of two dear friends (hubby was the officiant) and praying with a youth girl who gave her life to Christ at our spring retreat.


Getting the news that two sweet friends are pregnant again, after both losing their first babies in utero.

A surprise latte from one of my clients.


The ten year wedding anniversary of friends we weren't sure would make it more than three.  And they are happy in love.

My dad's post on my mom's Facebook page (brought me to tears):

Cheryll Kelly, I love that God loves me through you.  Your smile, your kind touch, your happy positivity bring me great joy.  This smooch is for you!!

So good.

1 comment: