Saturday, March 2, 2013

cabbage flower


As I type this, I have a large head of cauliflower pieces roasting in my oven.  This is my fifth head this week, all consumed alone.

I've tried roasting, steaming, mashing, and combining with other flavors and starches, to appease my man.  No dice.  Hubby does not like cauliflower.  I, however, am addicted.  I blame my sister-in-law, Dodie, and our friend, Rachel, for this obsession.  They both prepared me versions of steamed and roasted cauliflower that made my taste buds dance.  I don't know why right now I must have it every day, but I'm enjoying the ride.

Believe it or not, my husband will eat roasted brussels sprouts without flinching.  As long as I drench them in coconut oil and minced garlic, salt and pepper, and don't over-blanch them before roasting, he's in. We've been known to sit down with a bowl of sprouts and eat them as a snack, fresh out of the oven.

Olive oil, coconut oil or flavored oil (today I used basil oil - thanks, Heather!), I like roasted vegetables every which way.  Herbs and spices are important (mmmm.. curry), but some times simplicity (fresh ground salt & pepper) wins the plate.  The crispy bits are the best.  Some times, I'll end the cooking time with 2 minutes on a low broil, just for those crispy bits.  

Go here for a tutorial on roasting veggies.  If you're using coconut oil, place some big spoonfuls on to the baking sheet (or in your baking dish) and melt in the oven while it's preheating.  Then take the dish out after a couple of minutes and toss the melted oil with cut vegetables of your choosing (carrots, root veggies, and brussels are our favorite with coconut oil).

The oven timer just went off and our house has a distinct cabbagey cauliflower smell.  You know what I'm talking about.

Lunch time.

No comments:

Post a Comment