Monday, March 4, 2013

bridal


She asked me with a cherry-flavored ring pop and a note that said, "Now it's my turn to pop the question.. Will you be my Bridesmaid?"

As if I could ever say no to this girl.

She is Rachel, one of the best things that happened to me in Ohio.  I met her when she was an intern at the church, young and undecided, learning how to be a worship leader under my husband's guidance. She helped us move and remodel our house, without even knowing us. She has since become one of my dearest friends, singing partner, and the one I can laugh about anything with.  We've cried together, danced together, talked about everything together, and we eat the same amounts of food with the same amount of emotion.  Our humor can't be explained, and the stories we make up together are fanciful (bordering on the ridiculous).  Basically, she's one of my neighbors in "Amy World."  A rare find, indeed.


Rachel was never a serial dater, but she did have a couple of significant relationships before Dan came along.  When Dan arrived on the scene (they actually went to high school together, but never spoke), we all paused and watched as her best thing happened.

The first time I met him, I liked him.  The second time I met him, I asked them out on a double date, then we added him to our bi-weekly music nights.  Now, Dan and Rachel are the two friends we hang out with most, and we get to walk this journey of love and marriage with them.  Dan asked Chris to officiate their wedding with a bushy beard paper cut-out and answer-with-a-photograph instructions in the mail.  Not that Chris needs help in the facial hair department, but he played along.  


Yesterday, the other bridesmaids and I, and a collection of their in-laws, all hosted a teal and white bridal shower at the York Town Hall.  The party turned in to Dan surprising Rachel with roses and a kiss and us celebrating them both.

A buffet lunch was served on one side of the room with a collection of Rachel's favorite desserts on the other.  I got to help put the dessert table together, which meant raiding Trader Joe's for petits fours, cheesecake, gum drops, jelly beans, seeds and nuts covered in chocolate, macaroons, and chocolate ganache.  Rachel's sister's roommate made the cutest wedding-themed cookies and cake pops, which I found myself double-fisting later that afternoon.  I also picked up a couple tins of Pirouettes for the coffee table, and a bag of peanut butter M&Ms to go with my gift for the bride.



The two of them made quite a haul with their (almost) two hours of gift-opening.  I drooled over their new beautiful cookware, baking sets, linens, and wine collection.  Did I mention the pistachio-colored Kitchen Aid mixer?  I'm hoping they'll share.

Beautiful friends, we are so excited to watch you say your vows next month (!).  Tonight, we will have a little apartment-warming at your new place, and dream about your life ahead.

"May your joys be as bright as the morning, and your sorrows but shadows that fade in the sunlight of love." - Old English Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment