Tuesday, February 12, 2013

vinegar & honey

For the past week or so, hubby and I have traded coughs.  His is on its way out, mine began three days ago.


This is a common scene when I drag myself out of bed in the morning: extra covers in a tangled mess, pillows that have been readjusted a dozen times, shifted sheets from all that movement (half the time I can't find my top sheet - aggressive feet?), and a random throw pillow.  I feel fine in every other way, except for this dang cough.  It keeps me tossing and turning at night, no matter what position I'm in.  Propped up or not.  I've tried the conventional methods for a cure, and if it didn't leave me exhausted, I would let it run its course with only mild complaint.

But, it does leave me exhausted and makes for awkward moments in public.  You know how it is when you're talking to someone and they suddenly burst out in a coughing fit?  Loud, convulsive, spitty.  It's especially attractive on Sundays during your pastor's sermon, while sitting in the front row.

So now, I'm bringing out the big guns.  I'm trashing the drugstore goods and consulting my refrigerator and pantry instead.  Bragg's apple cider vinegar, honey, matcha, cayenne, oranges, grapefruit, broccoli, cauliflower, strawberries, blueberries, garlic and peppermint.  I'm going to heal myself through food and supplements. 

Besides, it will taste a whole lot better than NyQuil.

What are your natural cough remedies?

2 comments:

  1. I rubbed Vicks Vapor Rub on the bottoms of "E"'s feet and covered them with socks last night. I also rubbed Vicks on her back and chest. It was 11:30pm and we were tired. I said she could have a Popsicle =) She slept the rest of the night after that. Hope this helps and you heal up quick. Love ya sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I'll try that tonight. Popsicle included. xoxo

      Delete