Tuesday, December 11, 2012

boiling eggs


I learned a new way to boil eggs, thanks to Shauna Ahern who writes the beloved Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef blog. 

If I told you how I used to boil eggs, I suspect you'd either a) give me the sympathetic head tilt ("You just did what you saw someone else do when you were growing up - it's not your fault.") or b) give me "the Mom look" ("How many times do I have to tell you?  If you play with boiling water, you will get burned.").  I would hope for option "a," but wouldn't be surprised by option "b."

My old ways were risky, wet, and splattery.  I almost always scalded myself, and the eggs would often burst open or crack. 

Well, not anymore!  Here are the instructions from Shauna herself (from this post):  "Put the eggs on the bottom of a large pot, big enough to fit all the eggs comfortably, but not so big that they’ll rattle around in there.  Pour in the vinegar (1/4 cup white vinegar). Cover the eggs with enough water that there’s an inch of water above the eggs.  Turn the burner on high.  Bring the water to boil. Turn off the heat.  Wait 10 minutes.  Run cold water over the eggs until they are cool to the touch."

Goodbye first-degree burns, hello avocado deviled eggs!

1 comment: