Thursday, October 11, 2012

coconut chicken


In case I haven't mentioned it, I read cookbooks like novels.

I'm also a hoarder of loose recipes (computer print-outs, hand written recipes from friends, recipes I cut from disposable containers and collect from grocery store demos).  I have a place for my collection - tucked inside a recipe holder next to the cookbooks on my shelf.. and in a kitchen drawer underneath my potholders.. and folded in a small pile on my bedroom dresser.  

I am constantly inspired, and love taking recipes and adding my own flair to them.  I'm not the kind of cook who creates her own recipes from scratch.  I prefer to be guided by you and then making it my own.  This becomes an issue when someone asks me for a recipe because I will make them a copy or send them to a website, and then drown them in my deluge of alterations.  It's a little maddening, I realize.  So, I'm trying to be better about giving it to you straight and letting you explore for yourself.

Just don't mind me if I get a little twitchy.

So, this is a dish I make often and is one I don't need the recipe for anymore because it's that easy.  I don't always make homemade salad dressing to go with it, but it's not because the dressing in this recipe isn't delicious (it really is), it's because I get lazy.

Coconut-panko chicken tenders over salad with butternut squash soup on the side.  That was our meal tonight, adapted from this recipe. The soup was Trader Joe's, straight from the box.  I like to add seasoning to it, depending on my mood.  I've added curry powder before, but tonight I wanted sweet and spicy, so I added a pinch of cinnamon and cayenne pepper.

Happy exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment