Sunday, September 9, 2012

up up & away


It was a morning to rival every other morning.

Three days from their 41st wedding anniversary, my beloved parents took the ride of a lifetime.  Last year, several of us family members pitched in to buy them the gift certificate that sent them flying.  It was good for one hot air balloon ride soaring over Woodinville, WA - one of the items on my dad's Bucket List.

Thanks to modern technology, I was able to phone Skype with my older brother during the event yesterday.  It was a bright-and-early morning for everyone on the west coast, and one that was greeted with clear skies.  I'll admit, I got choked up a few times while watching the launch and landing.  

My parents looked like they were living a dream.



There were two balloons that went up, one right after the other. Each unit had two passenger compartments.  Not the roomiest of quarters, but the space allowed the riders to stand against the edge of the basket during the ride.

Because my mom's legs are so short, she wasn't able to climb in to the basket.  So, the balloon operators let her crawl inside while the basket was on its side and she leaned in as they tilted the container upright (reversed for landing).  My mom continues to amaze me with her resilience.  She always has a smile on her face.


All of my photos were screen shots, the rest were swapped by family members - everyone was abuzz after the event.  I passed my phone around to friends and shared pictures on Facebook all afternoon, I was so proud.  What a beautiful memory!



I want to do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment