Friday, September 21, 2012

a long walk

Due to the growing pothole epidemic in this town, our cars need major servicing at least once a year.  Our Honda fairs better than the Ford, but suffice it to say, there are days we wonder why we pay so much in city taxes when the roads are less than ideal.

Still, I'm grateful we live in a clean city that knows what to do in inclement weather.  I am grateful we live in a town that has pride in its community and pride in its schools.  I'm grateful our schools celebrate the arts.  I'm grateful we have the freedoms we do and the minor crime rates we do.

I am grateful this town is friendly, and walkable.

Because of said vehicle maintenance, I have found myself walking to and from the repair shop a few times this week.  Today it was a follow-up repair, and one I decided to let linger.

Normally, car issues rattle me (right up there with raw sewage in our basement), but today I cleared my schedule and enjoyed a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood (instead of sitting in the rubber-scented waiting room with a scowl on my face).  I had my phone camera ready for the interesting things I was going to see, and I greeted everyone I passed by.



I love my car.  But, I appreciate my legs more.  I miss so much around me when I'm driving and not paying attention to anything else but my destination.  I needed to breathe in the fresh air this morning and move the body God gave me.

"Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

No comments:

Post a Comment