Tuesday, July 31, 2012

raw pasta


It's called a Spiralizer.  

I mentioned it in my post about Ani Phyo and other celebrity crushes. Thanks goes to my friends at Food2Live4, and Ani's published encouragement.  Yeah, I know she didn't write her books for me, but I like to pretend she did.  I actually ordered her 15-Day Fat Blast last week, as a way of kick-starting my incorporation of more raw foods in to our diet.  The weight-loss will be a bonus.  

You can go to the Food2Live4 website to see where my inspiration is coming from, including a shop with links to the Ani Phyo books, and Jennifer Wegryn's blog with recipes and personal insights.  

In fact, it's where I got the recipe for Sunday night's dinner: Zucchini Noodles With Basil & Walnut Pesto. My friend, Melanie, gave me a big green zucchini from her garden and I used five small organic yellow ones I bought from the market.

Why I've let this handy kitchen gadget sit in a box for three months, I don't know.  But now that it's out, watch yourself.  I may just slide a bowl of tasty zucchini noodles in front of you.  Granted, the "wow factor" really comes from the sauce.  Without it, there is no way my husband would be smiling after eating this meal.  I'm pretty sure I pushed my blender to the limit making the pesto, though.  Next time, I'll chop the walnuts in my mini food processor first.

I toasted some pine nuts in a pan and sautéed spinach and garlic in olive oil to use as my base for the dish.  Then I piled on a handful of zucchini ribbons, a dollop of the pesto sauce, and garnished it with cherry tomatoes and a dash of shredded parmesan cheese.  It looks prettier this way as opposed to mixing it all together first.  But the mixing can be fun, too, especially when done with your hands.

And while you'll be tempted to save the leftovers, try consuming them by the next day, as the zucchini tends to lose it's girth (and water). 

No boring veggies here!

No comments:

Post a Comment