Friday, June 22, 2012

cancer sucks


Last year my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer.

Breast cancer in her lungs.

She has fought this ugly disease for several years now.  It seems that just when she's declared cancer-free, something else shows up: a lump, a spot, a tumor.  In the past, she's had surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation.  The doctors always find a way to make the cancer go away.  Not this time.  This last diagnosis was the worst kind, as it has no cure beyond a healing miracle.

My mom is diligent about getting her scans and bloodwork and following her doctor's orders (plus she's an optimistic, God-fearing woman with a very large fan club), which has helped tremendously. She's been in and out of the hospital, had another port surgically inserted, and is a regular at the cancer center.



Sometimes she has little "helpers" with her.  My sister and the kiddos are so good at keeping mom company during her chemo treatments when our dad can't be there.. and texting me picture messages.

None of us know how this will play out.  Some people live a long time with cancer.  Others don't.  I do know that my mom's greatest gift is having all of her children and grandchildren around her, and I don't think she's done being a grandma yet.

Body scans today, chemo again on Monday.

God is present.

No comments:

Post a Comment