Friday, March 2, 2012

chardon

© photo credit: www.france24.com

This was a busy week for news outlets, as they reported the tragedy that happened an hour away from us.

On Monday, a young man walked in to Chardon High School, and opened fire in the cafeteria.  There doesn't seem to be a good explanation for why T.J. Lane randomly killed three students and injured others.  Some say he came from a troubled family, but for someone so young to do what he did, I'm at a loss.  Dear boy, what a hard road you have ahead of you.

Danny Parmertor was the cousin of my friend, Ryan.

When I learned about the shooting, I recalled the first massacres like this one that affected me emotionally.  It was 1999 Columbine and 2007 Virginia Tech.  With each of them, I had the same sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.  The kind that makes my heart hurt like a mother's heart, and ache for the youth of our nation.

The good news is that our youth are strong, as was displayed by the students of Chardon High School, walking back on their campus today, arm-in-arm.  


Last Wednesday night, the youth of our church joined the adults of our church to pray for each other's generation and for the Chardon community.  Tears were shed and fear was realized, along with compassion and words of declaration, challenge and resolve.    

There is still hope.

1 comment:

  1. my girl is there i will come soon to the chruch

    ReplyDelete