Sunday, January 29, 2012

healthy 2


I've been told we crave what we eat.

I tend to crave sugary things because.. well.. I normally eat them by the container-full. This might involve me starting at the candy aisle in Target and eating my way through a box of Red Vines or Mike & Ike's while I shop.  Or I might be the type of person that sits down with a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and devours the whole thing while watching my favorite TV show.  For sure, I've been known to eat buckeyes like popcorn and turn popcorn in to dessert (hello M&Ms, coconut oil, and sea salt!).  Certainly no cheesecake is safe around me, and cupcakes?  Mercy.

What to do?  For me, going off of them "cold turkey" was the way to go, making sure my entire day's worth of eating was (and is) filled with organic whole foods: veggies, fruit, lean meat, beans, eggs, avocado, salad, nuts.. and protein shakes.  I have found that staying full throughout the day is the key for me.  If I eat small meals every 2-3 hours, and have a dinner filled with protein and greens, I'm a happy girl.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of dessert always sounds appealing to me, but I have a choice of when I eat it and how much of it I eat. "Reign it in, sister."  That's what I tell  myself.  When we decide we're ready to go off of the regimented diet, and create a daily eating plan we can live with that includes some of our favorite carbs, I'm going to try my hand at making desserts with a healthier spin.  This means reading more recipes and baking from scratch.  Win.

Fruit, dried fruit (low sugar), unsweetened applesauce (with a dash of cinnamon), and fresh juice from a juicer (our own or from the nice lady at EarthFare - pictured above) have all helped satisfy my sweet tooth this month.

And can I just say?  After three weeks of healthy eating and exercise, Chris and I are feeling the best we've felt in years, our unhealthy cravings are fewer, and our midwest fat is slowly making its exit.

Saying goodbye to something never felt so good.

1 comment: