Tuesday, January 17, 2012

church


The Wynnes and Zietlows are two dear families with big hearts for their community.  As members of Cornerstone Chapel, they would regularly drive the 45 minutes one way to church on Sundays, and 45 minutes back to their home in Wellington.  They visited other churches in their area, but never found what they loved about Cornerstone in those places.

So, they presented an idea to our pastoral staff about planting a church in their living room.  Chris and I have had the privilege of helping see this idea become a reality.  As I mentioned in this post and this post, we encouraged the vision and have worked with the families to iron out the details.  

Last Sunday, we celebrated their first service!  It was church the way Chris and I have dreamed for our own planting someday: intimate, organic, a little rough around the edges, and all heart.

Simple church.




I think my favorite part about the meeting on Sunday was how relaxed it was.  Sure, the initial introductions were as nervous as a first date, but it wasn't a nervousness that lasted long.  The children were on their best behavior, but even they settled in to the casual atmosphere a half hour in.  I smiled at them lounging on the floor, while watching Pastor Jeff's sermon with us via simulcast.  I mean, who wouldn't love listening to a sermon, with arms propped behind their head, and not be considered disrespectful?  We followed the message with prayer, and then gathered around the piano for a time of singing.  The two host families played instruments and we all joined in the familiar choruses.  We ended our gathering with food, which I'm convinced is heavenly.

It was as we ate that I felt a sense of everything in its right place. 

"Where two or more are gathered in My name, there I am with them." - Matthew 18:20.

3 comments:

  1. You are sweet and my heart is full!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love what you guys are doing, and continue to cheer you on from Medina! xoxo

    ReplyDelete