Sunday, November 20, 2011

tremont


I'll admit it.  I'm a little food obsessed.

I'm that girl who takes pictures of her meal before she eats it, and I pretty much have to restrain myself from saying something about food every time I sit down to write a blog entry.  I just love sharing my culinary adventures with anyone who will listen.  

Like here, here, here, here, and here.  This year, I doubled the food posts.  I apologize in advance if this increase becomes a habit. Some days I can't help myself.  

P.S.  Calling myself a "foodie" makes me feel better about the whole thing.  

Which is why the food tour Chris and I went on for our wedding anniversary this year will hardly come as a surprise to you.  We took food tours in Seattle when we lived there,  discovered new things about a place we adore, and tasted a variety of savory bites from local vendors.

This time around, we toured a town that several friends in Medina have encouraged us to check out.  They said it was artsy and eclectic and lined with interesting places to eat.  They were right.  Tremont is my new favorite Cleveland neighborhood!  For generations, Tremont was an Eastern European immigrant town, and even housed the short-lived Cleveland University.  Like the rest of the city, Tremont has a bit of a depressed history, but those who live there now are loyal.  

We started our tour at Lincoln Park, where we met up with the rest of our party (a blended family of five).  Due to a snafu with the tour company, our tour guide, and the departure time, the seven of us got to listen to a psychodelic-jazz-fusion band play in the gazebo while we waited.

Not pleasant. 


Thankfully, the ear bleeding only lasted half an hour (!) before our guide arrived and we began our brisk walk.  There were four food stops along the way that started with chicken & waffles at The South Side and ended with chocolate at Lilly.  The in-between included pizza at Lago, a stroll past several art galleries, hipster coffeeshops and creatively angled homes, and a sampling of curry dishes at Ty Fun.  Lilly was my favorite taste of them all.       




Not only was it bright (pink) and inviting, but shop owner, Amanda Montague, actually introduced herself to us and told us all about her business.  As if her personality wasn't enough (seriously, she deserves her own Food Network show), she gave us a sampling of her handmade truffles perfectly paired with a peach lambic.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think to pair chocolate with beer, until Lilly.

After that happy tasting, I knew I was hooked.  I promptly filled a 12 piece box with my new little truffle friends.  Amanda was sure to remind us to consume the chocolates within ten days.  

They lasted two.

1 comment:

  1. how could your write this whole post and make any reference to that first photo and the hot-ness that is Michael Symon?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete