Sunday, October 9, 2011

pig roast


My vegan friends are going to hate this post.

Personally, I'm an omnivore with a leaning towards vegetarian.  The thing is, I like meat.  Not so much red meat, though an occasional Red Robin "Banzai Burger" or B Spot "Symon Says" burger call my name.  I eat mostly chicken and fish products.  Sometimes I cook with tofu and tempeh and other meat substitutes, but more for variety than anything else.

After watching the documentaries Fast Food Nation and Food, Inc. (Forks Over Knives is next on my list), I am more mindful about the sources of my meat.  Hearing about the horrible ways animals are treated in mass-produced warehouses or, worse yet, seeing videos or photos depicting that abuse, makes me sick.  I realize their aim is to convince you to swear off eating animals altogether, but I'm quite fine with having some meat in my diet.  I'll just spend an extra couple bucks to get the kind that is raised in a humane way.

Last month, our church's Marriage Ministry hosted a pig roast.

An actual pig.  On a spit.

It was my first pig roast.  It was both shocking and fascinating to see a huge swine on a rotisserie.  I was delegated the event photographer that day, so I made it my duty to document the pig and, of course, the crowd and other activities, but it was that pig that had me mesmerized.  

The animal was purchased from a local butcher, Tom Keller, who raises animals for county fairs and 4H projects, and for sale to the public.  T.L. Keller Meats will also process your farm animals for a fee.  Jim & Jen Stropko were the husband and wife team that supervised the pig roasting process, and I like to think that I supervised the eating process.


I had to turn my head a couple of times during the carving, especially when I could identify crispy body parts.  I will spare you any more details, but am proud to say that I gnawed on an ear, and dove right in to the meat after it was served.

Words cannot describe how juicy it was!  




The whole evening was lovely.  We had forty-some couples attend and what started with a pig on a spit, ended with a bonfire and fireworks.






Not a bad way to say goodbye to summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment