Wednesday, October 5, 2011

corny


2011 had one of the wettest spring seasons on record for NE Ohio. This made my Seattle heart happy, but put a damper on corn production for the region.  Apparently, it takes 100 days for our corn to mature, which means the peak just happened.

I have to say, the sweet corn around here is some of the best I've ever eaten!  While I wish the weather hadn't been so harsh on the farmers' livelihood, I am grateful to have this vegetable late in to the year.

Shucking corn is even a favorite pastime of mine.  Not that I shuck corn without the purpose of consuming it, but when the occasion arises, I find it to be relaxing and reminiscent.  I remember watching and helping my mom shuck corn when I was young, and I find that I still shuck corn the way she taught me.  I take out a paper bag and sit on the front porch before pulling the husks apart.

The paper bag and front porch parts are a must.

I also love that corn can be eaten in it's original form straight from the grill (or boiled water), then can change in to so many other lovely things after it's scraped from the cob: soup, bread, salad, pudding, relish, casserole, creamed corn, and something called hash.
       


Turns out, I'm not the only one who likes corn.  In fact, I Googled "corn poems" and came across 29,000,000 results.  Who knew?

The following rhyme came from a local author named Robert Allan Williams, who looks like this:

© photo credit: www.authorsden.com

Sweet corn, sweet corn, so roasting hot,
I'll sing a merry tune if I may eat you up.
Sweet corn, sweet corn, warm in the pot,
I'll dance around the room and whistle through my cup.

Candy corn is also popular this time of year, but I find that the real deal is sweet enough for me.  

Bring on the singing and dancing!

1 comment:

  1. Will you please write my eulogy when I die? I love your words.

    ReplyDelete