Friday, August 5, 2011

fair week


It's Shark Week on the Discovery Channel and Fair Week in Medina.

While no one was attacked by carnivorous fish at our fair, there was a power outage yesterday, and we saw several wipeouts during the motocross event on Tuesday.  I also entered a couple of baked items in to the home culinary competition.  

My chocolate stout cake won third place, while my coconut chocolate chip banana bread didn't place at all.  I did notice that most of the bread was eaten, so hopefully I gave the judges something sweet to remember me by.




Rachel and I reminisced last night, as we walked around deciding which corn dog stand to patron.  We decided that when we were kids, the fair was all about the rides.  When we were teenagers, it was all about the boys.  As adults, lets face it, it's all about the food.

Naturally, Chris, Rachel and I all stuffed our faces this week.  Corn dogs, fried cheese, fried Oreos, homemade potato chips, blooming onions, and shaken lemonade were on the menu.  

Not a disappointing bite among them.

Shark fact #80:  Great white sharks eat 11 tons of food a year! Humans eat closer to half a ton every year.  I wonder how much of that is consumed at county fairs?

No comments:

Post a Comment