Thursday, July 14, 2011

strength


I used to love bugs.  

As a kid, I would collect them, rescue them, talk to them, play with them, and I have a distinct memory of eating one once when I was picking raspberries.

My fondness ended somewhere after elementary school and before I got married.  Now, they give me the creeps.  I know they're an important part of the ecosystem, and we can coexist, just as long as said pests stay outside.  As soon as they are seen inside, out comes my oversized wad of tissue.  They will meet their death with a flush of the toilet handle.  Every once in awhile, I change my mind about loathing bugs.  

Just for a minute or two.


This kind of moment happened yesterday, as I took a bag of trash to the trash can.  A slight movement on the ground caught my eye. When I crouched down, I could see that an ant was carrying part of another bug's body in its clutch.  I studied the ant for a little while and was equally impressed by its strength and determination.  Despite the size of the piece in its mouth, the ant moved fast and with focus.

I barely had a chance to grab my camera.

One of my heroines, Mother Teresa, said this about strength, "Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies."  

I can't tell you what was on that ant's to-do list yesterday, except maybe finding food for his colony; but I can tell you that watching him made me think about my own measure of strength.  

It's no secret that my arms are about as strong as noodles, but my legs are where the power is.  I don't have the skills to take anyone's physical pain away, but I have compassion.  I get scared some times, but try my best to be brave.  My brain isn't always analytical, but my heart has a huge capacity for loving.

Maybe that's enough.

1 comment: