Friday, June 10, 2011

secret revealed


For as many years as Chris and I have been married, my mother-in-law (Flora) has made us chocolate chip cookies.  She has baked the same recipe for as long as the family can remember and, let me tell you, these cookies deserve blue ribbons.

Every single one of them.

Also in as many years, I've assumed her recipe was a family secret, passed down from generation to generation, especially since she never pulls out an actual recipe when she bakes.  You should see the ease at which she floats around the kitchen crafting these tasty treats, all the while holding a deep conversation with us and tending to the grandkids at her feet.  Before you know it, that sweet buttery chocolate smell is filling the room.

The week Elanor & Nathaniel stayed with us, Elanor baked these famous cookies.  While she was preparing the dough, I asked her to tell me the secret.  I knew for sure she would have the inside scoop. Much to my surprise, she told me that it wasn't a secret at all.  Flora's chocolate chip cookie recipe.. comes from.. the back of the Nestle Toll House chocolate chip package!  

Gasp.  

I must have said, "really?!" about a half dozen times.  For over twelve years I have convinced myself of something that isn't true.

One-way ticket to 'Amy World,' anyone?

Of course, this discovery gave me a flashback to that one Friends episode where Monica tries to figure out Phoebe's great great grandmother's cookie recipe, only to discover it, too, was "Nes-ley Toulhous-a."  It's funny every time.

To her credit, Flora does take her time with the recipe.  She mixes the wet ingredients and lets them sit for quite awhile, allowing the flavors to marinate.  She also adds a touch more flour to the recipe, and lots of love.  Plus, she has long since memorized the recipe, which I find impressive all by itself.


So, I made my mother-in-law's cookies the other day.  They still aren't to Flora perfection yet, but at least now I know the secret.

And so do you.

5 comments:

  1. Ummm... Phoebe??? Nes-le' Tollhowza! (Remember that episode??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though she uses the Nestle Toll House recipe on the back of the package, she still makes the best chocolate chip cookies. I think the secret ingredient is Flora!

    ReplyDelete
  3. psst: you also double the vanilla...
    I don't know how El forgot to tell you that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. Amy, you're so cute. Here's a good one to try...it's our favorite around here!
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-big-fat-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookie/detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking of that episode the whole time from when you said you assumed it was a family recipe!! Great story!

    Em D

    ReplyDelete