Tuesday, June 7, 2011

derby girl


My friend, Chelsea, is cool.  Like, really cool.  She is one of those people who does the things that scare her, and does so with flare. She's a volunteer EMT, rides a Harley and sells Mary Kay.  

Her latest pursuit?  Roller derby.  

When the movie Whip It came out in 2009, I fell in love.  Roller derby was a sport created before I was born, but it wasn't until I saw this movie that I began to understand how empowering derby can be.  I mean, how great is a contact sport with punk rock attitude?  

So great.

Over the weekend, hubby preached, we attended a wedding, celebrated a friend's birthday, and we sweated through our first roller derby match.  Literally.  We bought tickets for Saturday's event at the Summit County Fairgrounds in Tallmadge, Ohio.  Tallmadge is smaller than Medina, includes a sizable traffic circle and a place called Wally's Waffles.

It was a double-header: Audio Assault vs. the Little Steel Derby Girls and the Rock N Roller Girls vs. the Mid Michigan Derby Girls.  The temperature was in the upper-80s and the humidity was so bad they had to delay the bout by an hour, so a dozen arena workers could dry the track.



This gave us plenty of time for crowd watching.  I don't want to sound mean, but the fans.. well.. how do I put this?  It was not a classy joint.  It reminded me of a cross between a small town biker bar and the beer garden at a Meat Loaf concert.  

The girls themselves were a sight to see in their short shorts and fishnets.. and those names!  Some of my favorites of the night were: Dirty Mary, Monty PipeBomb, Tat2 BarB, E-Rase Her (and a couple of others I can't say out loud).


Chelsea's last name is Holzinger, so her derby name?  The Whole Zinger!  She skates with the Tilted Thunder Rail Birds in Seattle.    

As for me?  I now have every major derby team in the area bookmarked in my computer, and want to join a recreational league.. some day.  Who's with me?
  

1 comment:

  1. I love spreading the derby desire. Rec Leagues are FABULOUS FUN! Can't wait to skate Green Lake with you.

    ReplyDelete