Sunday, May 15, 2011

happy trails


Remember this beauty I bought off Craig's List last year?  Well, I'm finally putting some miles on her tread.  

I'll be honest, I'm not one who likes riding my bike around town.  I would much rather have a trail where other cyclists and walkers and runners coexist.

I found one nearby called the Lester Rail Trail.  It's just under six miles round-trip, which is perfect for my amateur riding legs.  I'm getting stronger, though.  I've rode this trail eight times now and eventually hope to traverse it more than once both ways.



The trail itself is like a pop-up book, only better.  The scenery doesn't seem like much at first, but once you get in to the wooded areas and start looking around, there are plenty of wild critters and colorful birds to greet you.  My favorite parts are the yellow wildflowers and lilac bushes you smell before you see.       

Now that I'm a biker, I've learned a few things I feel I should share with you:

1. Flying insects like gaping holes, so don't leave your mouth hanging open when you breathe.
2. When watching someone's dog chase a wild bunny, be sure to keep one eye on the road or else you might veer off the path in to the bushes.
3. Sometimes people without homes sleep in the woods.
4. Persons running in the distance look like trotting horses.
5. I really need to get my eyes checked.
6. Bugs will collide with your forehead.  And cheeks.  And arms.  And legs.
7. Wear sunscreen.
8. Smile as you pass by others along the way, even if it means holding in your unladylike panting (from not having exercised in months).  It's the polite thing to do. 
9. Getting caught in a downpour is refreshing.
10. Poop on the ground will not avoid you.

Also, no one looks cute in padded bike shorts.  Even still, I think it's time for me to go shopping.  My rear-end is plenty padded all by itself, but is no match for the part of the seat that digs in.  You know what I'm talking about.  

Pedal to the metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment