Friday, April 15, 2011

twilight zone


What you are about to read will sound peculiar.

I swear it's true.

Last year I received a text message telling me Nikki's water had broke and she was on her way to the hospital. My friend Nikki, in Seattle, was pregnant, but only eight months along.

Of course I was concerned, but also confused as to why I had received this text from a Cleveland number that I didn't recognize instead of from our mutual friend (and Nikki's best friend), Chelsea (also in Seattle). I replied to the message and asked a couple of questions, which led to the conclusion that the text was sent to me in error.

Chelsea confirmed this when she assured me that Nikki was still very pregnant with no signs of labor. What a relief!

I continued texting with this family anyway in hopes that 'Ohio Nikki''s baby was born without incident. She was and her proud grandma sent me a photo text of the baby girl's squishy little face the next day. I wished them well and shrugged it off as a sweet, yet random exchange.

Then, it happened again. This morning I received a text message from a different Cleveland number informing me that Tammy had given birth to her baby. I did not recognize the number nor do I know a Tammy in Cleveland, but I didn't want to be rude.

So I texted the number asking who the sender was, and was told it was Mary texting me. Mary who? Turns out, this message was also sent to me in error. Mary is another proud grandma who thought she was texting her friend Connie. She blamed it on 'a senior moment.' We had a laugh, I congratulated the family.. then I was left scratching my head.

I mean, does this seem at all bizarre to you?

If it happens a third time, I'm blaming Rod Serling.

No comments:

Post a Comment