Saturday, March 12, 2011

gateway


I used to be a serial dater.

For several reasons, I couldn't stand to be single.  To me, single equaled alone, and alone equaled lonely.  As much as I pursued independence, being single wasn't part of that equation.

Plus, I craved the attention.  Healthy, I know. 

When I was younger, I made a list of all the qualities I desired in the man I was going to marry.  I'm pretty sure the list was an assignment given to us by our Sunday School teacher. You know, to dream about then and be entertained by later.

Two of the items I remember writing down were:
1.) brown eyes
2.) musician

I find it strange that even with all those relationships, and all of the Seattle coffeehouses I hung out in back then, there were no musician boyfriends for me.  Clearly, God was saving the best for last: Christopher Danley, my blue-eyed troubadour.

One of the perks of being married to a musician is that we get to create music together.  My husband is an audio engineer by trade, which means he has produced dozens of albums over the years, including his own.  I have enjoyed being his back-up singer, and recording music with dear friends.

Singing with Chris is a true gift.

Tonight we sang together for a worship service at a new church plant about an hour away from us (in Aurora) called GateWay.  It's a small congregation at present, but the heart and enthusiasm and community are all there.  And the people are so nice.

Our band included me, Chris, Rachel, and our pastor and his wife. We all sang, Chris & Pastor Jeff played guitars, and MaryJane played her violin.  We didn't do any rehearsing until our sound check two hours before the service started, but it didn't matter.  We have all become close friends over the past year, and they have played together before.  Even though I was the new addition, we clicked.

The music was beautiful tonight and God was present.

Thank you, sweet Lord, for knowing me better than I know myself.

P.S. The blue eyes were a nice touch.

1 comment: