Wednesday, March 16, 2011

C-A-B

© photo credit: cpr-savers.com

For the record, I can now save your life.

On Tuesday, Amanda and I spent a few hours at the Granger Fire Department being educated in CPR. For me, it was a long overdue refresher course. For Amanda, it was all new. As her mentor, I asked her to make a list of life goals last year, including anything new she wanted to learn.

CPR was on that list.

During this particular class, we were taught basic CPR and how to use an AED. Have you ever seen an AED unit? They really are something! Easy to use, and they practically do all the work for you. How did people survive cardiac arrest before AEDs?

You should probably know that compressions are now considered the most important part of this life-saving technique, and should be administered before checking the airway and giving breaths. Read about the change here and start practicing on your friends.

Just kidding, don't do that, but do get CPR-certified.

If you're a closet thespian, like I am, you will enjoy doing the safety scenarios. The test at the end was one of the only tests I've actually enjoyed taking because I got to act out all of the CPR steps, including making sure my scene was safe and calling for help.

I wonder if they hold auditions for CPR instructional videos.

2 comments:

  1. that was fun and I am glad I was able to learn it with you! you where vary encouraging even though the test felt like I had to pass or else! lol through I knew what to say and do it didn't come out of my mouth haha but I am glad to say I can save your life as well! and no don't practice on your friends I say your enemies but don't do that aether lol.

    ReplyDelete