Monday, February 7, 2011

opening day


Sweet Face Skin Care is open for business!

After months of navigating through the Ohio State Board salon licensing process, countless trips around town to get the perfect paint colors and supplies I needed, hours of online research to find the best equipment, meetings with my bank and Dermalogica business consultant, hiring outside help for my flooring and other fixtures (thanks Jim!), putting everything together (including many "oh, babe, will you hang up one more thing in my office?" requests of my patient husband), updating my online presence and advertising, fighting anxiety, and holding my breath.. what started as this:


Is now this:


Today was my Opening Day and what a fabulous day it was!

Chris saw me before I left for the office and said, "Awww, I've missed Paul Mitchell black."  It made me smile, and reminded me of my undergrad season of taking night classes for nine months, while working full-time, and somehow managing to be present for my other life roles.  My husband supported me every step of the way, including the meltdown I had right before I started school, and the one that ended my first week.

Has it really been six years since I started this journey?

My undergraduate education was at Paul Mitchell the Skin Academy in Costa Mesa, CA, and the 'uniform' required us to dress neck-to-toe in black.  We weren't allowed to wear jeans, except on special occasions.  Now that I make my own rules, I still dress in black on top with my black vinyl apron (Paul Mitchell issued), but my bottoms are most certainly denim.

Although I'm still finding my new rhythm, my hands knew exactly what to do today and taking clients was as familiar as riding a bike. I have missed giving extended treatments and consultations.  It is good to be back.

Plus, I received a bounty of gifts and well wishes from loved ones.

What?  I wasn't expecting presents!

I'll admit, most of the time I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. Not only do I get to pursue my passions, but I get to do so with a whole cheering section behind me.

Thank you, dear friends, for believing in me.


(Now, who wants to be next on SFSC's dance card?)

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! Congratulations. By the way, I love the green wall and wooden floors! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ladies! I am really really happy to be on this end of the process. It nearly sucked the life out of me getting here. I love how my room turned out (the green color is called 'Cup of Tea' and the entryway is painted the color 'Tibetan Orange' - so cute!), and I am most grateful to have 244 sq ft, over twice the size of my last office! Juanita, I know you can relate to doing body therapy in small spaces. ;) Life is good.

    ReplyDelete