Wednesday, February 2, 2011

monster

© photo credit: freep.com

The Monster Storm is upon us.

We've been hearing about it on the news and all over the internet recently, and it finally hit. From where I sit, our little town is doing okay. Last night was particularly icy, and by 'particularly,' I mean ice was falling from the sky and the ground became deceptively slick. It seemed no surface was safe.

Even though it makes for shivering nights, chronic sore throats, dry skin, and risky driving conditions, I still love this weather.

When I looked outside this morning, it was indeed a blustery scene. I wish my camera could capture the blowing wind and snow fall, so you could get a better idea of what I'm seeing.

This growing icicle on the side of our roof is a beauty.


From the inside of the garage out, this is what our driveway looks like before it's cleared.


With temperatures in the single digits, you can actually see your breath inside your car. I have a grin on my face every time I put a Dum Dum sucker in my mouth that has sat in my car overnight. I get them from the bank and leave the extras in the console. When I put them inside of my mouth, after they've been freezing overnight, the heat and cold clash and I get the sensation of Pop Rocks. I told the postman about this the other day.

I think he's going to try it.

So, other than craving citrus, dealing with schedule changes and cancellations, shoveling the driveway a dozen times (or waving to the neighbors who do it for us with their fancy machines), scraping ice off windshields, businesses closed, and being stuck inside watching movie marathons, there is really nothing to report.

We are safe and sound, and marveling at this force of nature.

Here's hoping the power stays on.

No comments:

Post a Comment