Thursday, October 28, 2010

driving lesson


This is Amanda.

She has a talent for drawing, and loves horses.


I met Amanda during the first month of being new in town and felt my heart pulled towards her.  Maybe it was the way she danced in worship (waving colorful flags), her unique laugh (she honks), her genuine hugs, or her curiosity in who we were.  Maybe it was something deeper.  Whatever it was, I have grown very fond of her and am eager to see her flourish in this life.

One of my roles in Amanda's world is as her mentor.  She has goals, I want to help her achieve them.  She has great potential, I want to see it realized.  The Lord has good things planned for Amanda and I want to be present for those things, no matter how big or how small they seem.  I am honored to be a part of this young woman's history.

Plus, she honks at my jokes.

Goal number one is a driver's license.  Amanda has her learner's permit or 'temps' (as they're called out here).  Temporary Permit.  As in, for a limited time only.  Turns out, Amanda has had her temps for a few years.  She hasn't yet reached the next step of turning her temps in to an actual driver's license.  It's certainly not for a lack of will, but more for a lack of opportunity and practice.

Insert me.

Idealistic?  Yes.  Tenacious?  Yes.  Brave?  Perhaps.

While living in Washington, I allowed my teenage niece to drive our car with me in the passenger seat when she was still under permit. She set a solid precedent then and has been a licensed driver for almost two years now.  Still, I never thought I'd be sought out again for the task of playing 'responsible adult/driving instructor.'

Thankfully, my mentee is eager, resilient, and receptive.  She's not bad behind a steering wheel either.

Today was a fun day of training, as I let Amanda cruise up and down the country roads by her house.  We had slight accelerator/brake confusion from time to time, but the recovery was good.

And we did get 'lost' at one point, which was actually quite nice, as it took us to some interesting places: the house with a fish for a mailbox, the one lane bridge, and the Amish family-owned produce stand where I bought some pretty eggs, root vegetables, and two brightly colored peppers.


The GPS returned us to Amanda's home without fail, where we laughed about our adventure.

My favorite moment was when we approached her driveway at the same time her mom's fiance was leaving.  He saw us and turned the corner to greet us.  It was one of those moments where one car pulls up opposite to another, driver's side to driver's side.  Glenn put down his window and started talking to us as Amanda attempted to put down her window, too.  Except she couldn't figure out which button went to which window, so she successfully managed to put every other window down before hers.

Don't worry, husband, the Honda is still in one piece.

2 comments:

  1. hahahahhahahahahahhahahahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT AUNT AMY!!!!!!!!!!! =) and thank you for all that your doing to help me. I'm glad that someone knows thinging is too big or too small for me to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ‎"...with God all things are possible." - Matthew 19:26 :)

    ReplyDelete