Sunday, June 13, 2010

fireflies

© photo credit: stevendavidjohnson.com

Fireflies have a reputation.

Clever little creatures who play tricks on your eyes, they bob around in the night air disguised as wisps of light.  Just when you think you see them, they disappear.  Then reappear, then disappear and appear again.  They tickle at the back of your neck baiting you to follow them.

Lucky for me, fireflies are a summer standard in the midwest. 

Lots of friends out here gasped when I told them I had never seen one before this week.  Funny how they assume fireflies are a part of everyone's childhood, just as I assume everyone's heard of lettuce wraps.

My favorite firefly moment so far was at the drive-in movie last night.  While watching a remake of The Karate Kid, I found myself distracted by the trees.  Or rather, what was hovering around the trees.  These little bugs make the air and foliage sparkle with their presence.  The best part is that they don't all glow at once, bringing the atmosphere to life with a hundred twinkle lights.

National Geographic says there are about 2,000 firefly species and their life span is two months.  Which means, I get eight more weeks of their comedy and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment